We have begun preparation for our junior course which will take place this year from Monday 3rd. July - 21 July 2016 on Lough Owel.
The course will cater as usual from the basic sailing skills to racing level and is open to all above 11 Years of age.
If you wish to apply for this year’s course please fill out the application form , and return it, with the course fee to;
Mullingar Sailing Club Junior Organiser
Co. Meath A83 KX57
Rosie can be reached at 087 2903586 if you have any questions about the course.
Notes for Parents/Guardians
1. Course places are limited.
2. The course is based on the ISA training programme www.sailing.ie
3. Modules achieved by sailor will be entered on their Sailing Passport which will accumulate in them achieving their next level.
4. The course is based on the Mirror dinghy. No other dinghy types are permitted on the course.
5. Mullingar Sailing Club does NOT provide Mirror dinghies for the course. Students must have a dinghy or a guaranteed crew position in a dinghy.
6. A parent or an adult representative is expected to assist (for one half day) in the shore based running of the course. This requirement will be further explained at an information briefing prior to the course commencing.
7. The club’s Code of Ethics and Good Practice for Children’s Activities is available to Parents/Guardians on the Mullingar Sailing Club website. Parents/Guardians will be expected to adhere to the clubs Guidelines and Code of Conduct for Parents/Guardians within the Code of Ethics.
8. Parent/Guardians will be expected to make their children aware of the clubs Guidelines and Code of Conduct for Young People which is available within the Code of Ethics and Good Practice.
Eligibility for the Junior Sailing Course
1. Applicants must have an interest in learning to sail.
2. Applicants must be members of Mullingar Sailing Club. The junior membership fee is €50.
3. Aged 11 years or older on 3th July 2017.
4. Applicants will be expected to: Swim 25m in sailing clothes, tread water for 2 minutes and hold their head underwater for 10 seconds.
5. All applicants must be in possession of an adequate, approved buoyancy aid which must be worn at all times while on the water and on the foreshore. Please note that a wetsuit (while not compulsory) will considerably add to the student sailor’s comfort on the course.
6. All basic and improver level applicants (1st and 2nd years of course) must be in possession of a Mirror dinghy or be a nominated crew on another Mirror dinghy.
7. All other level applicants must have their own Mirror dinghy.
Mirror Dinghy Requirements
1. All boats must be rigged and present at MSC, Lough Owel prior to 26th June.
2. All boats will be inspected for seaworthiness prior to the Course by MSC instructors.
3. All advanced level boats must be spinnaker rigged.
4. Each boat must be equipped with oars or paddles of a functional design and a 3m painter.
5. Each boat must have a launching trolley.
6. Each boat must be insured against 3rd party risks for a minimum of €3,000,000.
The committee Of Mullingar Sailing Club reserves the right to:
• Limit the number of applicants.
• Accept applications subject to suitability for the course.
• Implement its Disciplinary Procedure to suspend a student/participant if necessary.
Each course in the programme consists of a series of games, tasks, activities and experiments that will help children to discover, explore and practise the skills and knowledge they need, while under the supervision and leadership of an ISA Instructor.
The programme covers the essential sailing skills needed for children to become competent, independent sailors and also includes a strong emphasis on the skills & knowledge that will allow them to appreciate and enjoy the water & outdoor environment.
Places are limited. Boats are provided as part of the course fee.